Sunday, October 26, 2008

Reading in Miami this Thursday October 30th

I will be taking Cuba to the Cuban-Americans this Thursday, for my first Florida book reading, at Books and Books in Coral Gables. The bookstore is at 265 Aragon Avenue, and the reading is at 8PM.

I'm hoping for a nice crowd, particularly since in Sunday's paper the Miami Herald calls Walking to Guantánamo "a fascinating, wry, vividly detailed and elegantly written account of a trip that no one else is likely to take."

Twenty years ago it would have been a terrifying prospect to try and promote this book in South Florida, even though I think it is an extremely balanced view of life on the island. In the old days down in Miami one would have been virtually crucified just for having visited the island. My sense is that things have changed and that the Cubans of Miami are now almost as diverse a group as the Cubans of Cuba. I could be wrong, though. I'll let you all know soon enough if I get rotten eggs thrown at me. It is, after all, the day before Halloween, better known in suburbia as "mischief night."

If you don't have a copy of the book yet, and can't join me in Miami, you really ought to get yourself one from my publisher, HERE, or order it from Amazon, HERE.

No comments: